The Uses and Benefits of Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
The uses and benefits of Roman Chamomile essential oil are extensive with a long history and variety of uses. Most people are familiar with chamomile tea, but are unaware that the benefits of Roman Chamomile essential oil are even more effective.
Chamomile is one of the most ancient medicinal herbs with the earliest recorded uses dating back to 1550 BC in Egypt and to the 1st century AD in Europe. The Egyptians considered it to be a sacred plant that was a gift from the God of the Sun.
In this article, we are going to cover the uses and benefits of Roman Chamomile essential oil so that you can add this remarkable essential oil to your wellness toolkit and natural medicine cabinet.
WHAT IS ROMAN CHAMOMILE ESSENTIAL OIL
Roman Chamomile essential oil is the concentrated extract or plant essence of the Anthenis nobilis L plant, whose common name is Roman Chamomile.
The name is derived from the Greek, meaning ground apple and the Latin nobilis refers to flowers that are noble in nature. To the Saxons, chamomile was considered one of the nine sacred herbs.
Roman Chamomile grows extensively in central and eastern Europe as well as in England and it belongs to the daisy family. The plant grows up to 30 cm high with lacy leaves and small white daisy-like flowers. Roman chamomile essential oil is steam distilled from the flowers.
WHAT DOES ROMAN CHAMOMILE ESSENTIAL OIL SMELL LIKE
Roman Chamomile essential oil is a medium to strong middle note with a fragrance that is much like apples and sweet straw mixed together. It can be described as a delicate, sweet herbal aroma that is warm and gentle.
THE BENEFITS OF USING ROMAN CHAMOMILE ESSENTIAL OIL
Though best known for its sedative and calming effects, the benefits of Roman Chamomile essential oil are numerous, ranging from soothing digestive issues to wound healing.
- Provides anxiety and depression relief. It is used as a mild sedative to calm nerves, fight depression and reduce anxiety. Inhaling roman chamomile essential oil directly is an ideal and quick way to relieve anxiety symptoms.
- Soothes body aches and PMS symptoms. With its antispasmodic properties, roman chamomile oil soothes body aches, headaches, back pain and menstrual cramps.
- Reduces insomnia and promotes relaxation. With calming and sedative effects, roman chamomile promotes relaxation and relieves tension promoting restful sleep.
- Soothes arthritis and joint pain. Chamomile essential oil penetrates below the surface deep into the skin layers. It is a natural topical anti-inflammatory agent that can effectively treat pain from arthritis and pain in the lower back, wrists, fingers, knees etc.
- Repairs skin issues and promotes healthy skin. Roman Chamomile essential oil has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It is a natural remedy for gout, eczema, ulcers, cankers, burns, rashes, chicken pox, poison ivy and other skin irritations.
- Eases feelings of nausea and gastrointestinal discomforts. Roman chamomile oil contains anodyne compounds which are antispasmodic, making it a natural treatment for digestive issues including leaky gut, gas, indigestion, acid reflux, diarrhea and vomiting.
- Reduces inflammation. Roman chamomile has an anti-inflammatory effect similar to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as Ibuprofen) It helps reduce inflammation and is a nervine that can help to numb the nerves.
- Promotes heart health. Roman Chamomile essential oil has high levels of flavonoids, which have been shown to dramatically reduce mortality from coronary heart disease (when taken internally. Consult a professional aromatherapist before attempting to ingest any essential oil). It has a relaxing effect on the heart, and helps to lower blood pressure.
- Soothes allergy symptoms. Roman Chamomile is commonly used to treat hay fever due to its antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. It helps relieve swelling, mucus congestion and skin outbreaks associated with seasonal allergy symptoms and food allergies.
- Treats colds, sore throat and hoarseness. With its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, Roman Chamomile essential oil is effective in treating the common cold, as well as throat issues.
- Calms and soothes children. For thousands of years, Roman Chamomile essential oil has been used on children due to its gentleness and lack of side effects. Often called the kid calmer, it is excellent at calling children with ADD and ADHD as well as children on the spectrum.
- Anti-cancer activity. Studies have shown that treatment with chamomile extract reduced the ability of cancer cells to grow blood vessels needed to keep the tumor alive. Exposure to chamomile extract induces apoptosis in cancer cells, but not in normal cells.
As you can see, Roman Chamomile essential oil has a large variety of uses and benefits. With its extensive recorded history of use and many medical studies and trials, this is an essential oil to include in your natural home medicine cabinet.
THE BENEFITS OF ROMAN CHAMOMILE ESSENTIAL OIL BY APPLICATION METHOD
Here is a benefit reference by application method to quickly refer to as you gain confidence in using this amazing essential oil in your wellness toolbox.
- When diffused, Roman Chamomile Essential Oil relieves anxiety, stress and tension and helps alleviate feelings of depression. It promotes deep, restful sleep and eases feelings of nausea. Perfect blended with Lavender for night time diffusing.
- In massage,Roman Chamomile Essential Oil can reduce inflammation, relieve sore muscles and joint pain as well as relieve arthritic pain.
- In the bath, Roman Chamomile Essential Oil reduces inflammation and PMS symptoms, alleviates muscle cramps and reduces joint pain, releases tension, stress and anxiety and calms the entire system promoting a deep restful state.
- Topically, Roman Chamomile Essential Oil promotes smooth, healthy skin and relieves irritations with its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It has been used as a remedy for eczema, acne, gout, ulcers, wounds, burns, poison ivy, rashes etc.
HOW TO USE ROMAN CHAMOMILE ESSENTIAL OIL
- Diffusing - Add 5 to 7 drops to your diffuser to combat feelings of anxiety or depression. Diffuses three times per day.
- Inhalation - Inhale directly from the bottle for a quick action to combat feelings of anxiety and depression or to calm feelings of frustration or anger. Inhale from the bottle to quickly combat feelings of nausea. Add 6 - 8 drops to a bowl of steaming water or a facial steamer, inhale slowly and deeply for 5 to 10 minutes. Place 1 - 2 drops in your hands, rub your hand together, cup your palms and inhale slowly for 30 seconds.
- Topical - For digestive issues massage in 5 drops of roman chamomile essential oil directly on the abdomen. For skin conditions place 3 drops on a cotton ball and apply to the area of concern or add 5 drops to your natural face wash. Apply 5 drops directly over the heart and lightly rub in to promote heart health. Add 5 drops to 20 ml of carrier oil and use for massage. Apply to the bottom of your feet at bedtime to promote sleep.
- Internal - We recommend that you consult a clinical aromatherapist and/or your Doctor before ingesting any essential oils as they are highly concentrated plant essences. For heart health and anti cancer properties place 2 to 4 drops directly under the tongue.
If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. Keep out of the reach of children.
WHERE TO PURCHASE ROMAN CHAMOMILE ESSENTIAL OIL
In order to enjoy the medicinal benefits of Roman Chamomile Essential Oil, it is important that you purchase 100% essential oil that is undiluted and of high quality from a home fragrance shop that you can trust.
Natural Zen Home Fragrance Studio is an ethical entrepreneur located in Calgary, Alberta that carries high quality 100% pure essential oils. You can buy Roman Chamomile essential oil in the online shop by visiting www.naturalzen.ca
The uses and benefits of Roman Chamomile essential oil are extensive and varied, making it an“essential” oil to have on hand. It can be so helpful in soothing and calming the mind, the skin and the systems of the body. Roman chamomile is gentle enough to be applied neat and to be used to safely help children. The power of Nature to promote our well-being is amazing.
Here is a final review of the uses and benefits of Roman Chamomile essential oil.
The Benefits of Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- Anxiety and depression relief
- Soothes body aches, strains, sprains and PMS
- Reduces insomnia and promotes relaxation
- Soothes arthritis and joint pain
- Repairs skin issues and promotes healthy skin
- Digestive and gastrointestinal aid, provides nausea relief
- Reduces inflammation
- Promotes heart health
- Soothes allergy symptoms
- Treats colds and sore throats
- Calms and soothes children
- Anti-cancer activity
How to Use Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- Diffuse 5 to 7 drops up to 3 times per day
- Inhale directly from the bottle
- Rub 5 drops lightly over your abdomen or heart
- Add 5 drops to 20 ml carrier oil for massage
- Rub 2 - 3 drops into the bottom of your feet at bedtime
- Place 2 - 3 drops directly under your tongue
- Add 6 - 8 drops to your bath water
Share with us in the comments below if you use Roman Chamomile essential oil and what your favourite method of use is. Or pop on over to our social media and let us know, we love hearing from you!
Wishing you wellness and Zen!